WebMatrix 2 RTW has shipped today.
For those of you who do not know about it, WebMatrix is a free and lightweight web development tool. Used to create, publish, and maintain your website with ease.
- Optimized for Open Source: where you can install popular web apps with a few clicks, customize them easily with app-specific code completion, and publish them quickly to the web.
- Built for the Cloud: Deploy your websites to and from Windows Azure Web Sites with a single click, edit them remotely or even download directly from the cloud.
- Designed for Mobile: Optimize your websites for mobile browsing with built-in templates, device emulators and code completion for JQuery mobile.
- Extended by the Community: Want an iPhone simulator or power tools for Node.js? Find extensions that add even more functionality to WebMatrix, or create your own.
Here are just some of the top requested features that were delivered in the RTW:
- Open your site directly from Azure and publish to Azure
- Streamlined OSS app install
- IntelliSense for all major languages, including ASP.NET, Node.js and PHP
- An amazing set of new templates in ASP.NET, HTML5, PHP and Node.js
- Support for mobile emulators WP7, iPhone and iPad
- New and improved database management with support for creating SQL and MySQL DBs
- Rich extensibility with many extensions ready today (and thousands of downloads!), with more coming
And a couple of useful links for posts and tutorials on the subject: