The upgrade tool only supports Visual Studio 2010 projects targeting .NET 4. Upgrading both MVC 2 and MVC 3 projects is supported.
The tool does not support Visual Studio 2008 solutions, MVC 1 projects, or projects targeting .NET 3.5. Those projects will first have to be upgraded using Visual Studio 2010 and/or re-targeted for .NET 4:
- If you have a Visual Studio 2008 solution you can simply open it with Visual Studio 2010 to initiate the solution upgrade process.
- If your projects are targeting .NET 3.5 read how to target .NET 4.
- If you have a MVC 1.0 project you can use the old version of this tool to convert it to MVC 2.
The usage of the tool is quite simple:
- If you use a source control system make sure your files are checked out and writable
- Run the executable
- Select your Visual Studio 2010 solution file that contains your project
- Review the changes for each item in the Item details pane
- Click on the Convert button to initiate the conversion process
- Review the results in the Conversion log pane
This is an unsupported utility and there is a possibility that it might not work correctly for your solution. Specifically, the tool has the following limitations: